Most people find the high-carbohydrate foods as the main enemy of their weight. The nutritionists say that not the amount of carbohydrates is important, but the rate of their absorption by the body.
Foods containing carbohydrates are divided by scientists into 3 groups:
– High speed of absorption: carrots, honey, white bread.
– Average speed of absorption: sugar, potatoes, bananas, rice, peas, pasta, oranges.
– Low speed of absorption: vegetables with green color, apricots, yogurt.
The products of the last group are the best allies to achieve a slim figure and keep low body weight.
Our weight depends on the total amount of calories we consume each day, so we can also convert grams of carbohydrates into calories. In addition, it will help us to determine what percentage of the total calories in each meal come from the carbohydrate content.
We can convert grams into calories by the following formula:
Step 1: Identify the total number of calories in the product. Carbohydrates are often divided by the labels of fiber, sugars and sugar alcohols. To determine how many grams of carbohydrate present in a product, we need to take the total amount.
Step 2: Multiply the total weight of carbohydrates by 4, because carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram. For example, a meal containing 21g of carbohydrates, has 84 calories. If our goal is simply to determine the amount of calories that comes from carbohydrates, this is the last necessary step in the process.
Step 3: Divide the label calories from total calories. The result of this action will be <1. To determine the percentage of calories coming from a bunch of carbohydrates, need to know the total calories contained in a portion of the food. This information is usually indicated at the top of the product information label.
It is important to pay attention to the size of the meals. The grams of carbohydrates listed on the product label are for the specified portion. If we eat more or less than one meal, this will distort calculations.
We need to be careful about foods that contain indigestible carbohydrates or fibers, as they are not involved in the caloric content of the product. Since the specific type of fiber is usually not mentioned on the label, we must assume that each gram of the carbohydrates indicated on the food label will give us 4 calories, regardless of its digestibility.
It may sounds incredible, but keeping a diet based on the intake of certain types of carbohydrates can help to maintain low body weight. For example, a particular type of carbohydrate is the polysaccharides contained in starch. However, in order to take the advantage of the polysaccharide, the consumption of mono and disaccharides, such as glucose and white sugar, should be reduced.
According to a number of studies, people in whose menu exist carbohydrates, easier keep their weight within normal limits for an extended period of time, compared to those that completely exclude them.
It is recommended about 60% of the energy needed by the body during the day to be obtained from carbohydrates.
What are the main benefits of the carbohydrate consumption:
– Carbohydrates neutralize the feeling of hunger quickly. Once they get into the digestive system, they swell and create a sense of satiety. At the same time, they reduce the amount of food consumed in general.
– Carbohydrates, in particular polysaccharides, are slowly digested by the digestive system, leading to rare outbreaks of hunger.
– Their role in blood glucose levels is irreplaceable. Their slow processing and absorption in the blood helps to keep blood sugar levels at the same level without sudden changes.
– Carbohydrates also help to absorb fat faster. After processing, fat also carries energy on the body, and does not accumulate them.
– Especially during a diet, carbohydrates play an important role in proper digestion, leading to regular cleansing of the gut and body. For this purpose, it is required regular consumption of whole-grain bread, fruits and vegetables, different legumes and nuts.
Moreover, diets containing too small amounts of carbohydrate may be dangerous for the health.
The medics and dietitian are particularly concerned with the so-called Atkins’ diet, which is becoming more and more popular around the world in the quest for some people to quickly lose the extra weight.
According to American experts, in some cases, such diets can lead to ketoacidosis – a serious disease due to dangerously elevated levels of ketones (poisonous substances in the blood). They are produced in a particularly large amount in the liver if the insulin level drops due to inadequate nutrition or diabetes.
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe