The difference, often, between a genuine, effective leader, and the rest – of – the – pack, is, he is ready, willing, and able, to handle, both, the usual/ anticipated challenges, as well as the more unusual/ unexpected ones! How one handles these challenges, generally, differentiates between great, and lesser leaders! After, over four decades of involvement, in nearly all areas of leadership, from identifying, qualifying, and training, to developing, and consulting, to more than a thousand, actual, and/ or, potential leaders, I consistently, stress, the need for preparation and planning, and being able to, seamlessly, handle any objection, challenge, and/ or, concern. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, the 5 – step approach/ method, for handling these, in a quality manner.
1. Know what’s being asked: A wise leader, never responds, until/ unless, he is certain, what the concern/ objection, may be! Otherwise, one may open, a so – called, Pandora’s Box, and make things, far worse! The simplest way, to proceed, is, to restate, what you believe, is being questioned, before proceeding, and responding. Using the expression, In other words, you’re concerned about, and then, waiting, to ensure that is the concern, is a key, first step!
2. Empathize: I can perfectly understand how you feel. In fact, I felt that way, as well as most others, I know, felt similarly, until, they realized, a few things. This transition, to thoroughly, answering the question, shows, you care, and hopefully, makes them, feel comfortable, with your upcoming responses.
3. Answer thoroughly, to their satisfaction: Many potential leaders believe they are responding, and answering someone’s question, but, fail to consider, you must answer, to the other individual’s satisfaction, and, not, just, yours! Respond, slowly, and pay keen attention, to the questioner’s body language, facial expression, etc. Take as much time, as needed, to get your message, and ideas, through, thoroughly! Only, when you are convinced, you’ve done so, should you proceed, to the next step!
4. Recreate the need/ emphasis: Great communicators transform lemons, into lemonade, by emphasizing, the most essential reasons, any idea, program, approach, is important, and will make a meaningful difference, for the better. Stating, simply, In light of these factors, doesn’t it make sense, is a smart, preliminary, approach, to recreating the need, and bring all, together!
5. Close: Nothing happens, unless/ until, a leader closes, and makes his case, as well, as possible, and asks for specific actions, etc, be taken, seeking constituents cooperation, etc!
Using these 5 – steps, is one of the finest, time – tested approaches/ techniques, to reaching a meeting – of – the – minds, for the common good! Unless/ until leaders are better prepared, and trained, in using these, this dearth of genuine leadership, will be hard, to reverse!
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe